Thursday, July 21, 2011

Paris

Back from four days in Paris. It was a lovely break from the chaos of home, and I reveled in the time that was mine to squander, a near-forgotten luxury. (When I wasn't pining for baby, that is.) On my first day, Bastille Day, I got in pretty early and took the RER train into the city. It was chilly and grey; by mid-day, the sun was out and temperatures dropped. Yet I was still cold (I have been in Thailand too long).

After dropping my bag off at the small hotel near the arch, I saw some of the military parade down the Champs Elysees, with fighter jets zooming overhead. Then went to the Egyptian and Roman galleries in the Louvre, and walked around in the Carrousel de Louvre. I was pretty tired by mid-afternoon so I headed back for a nap. The room was tiny and fairly clean, but the hotel's pet friendly policy had me eying each stain on the carpet. Nevertheless, I had a good snooze.

That evening, I noshed on delicious yogurt and banana (labeled from Martinique, kind of far for a banana, no?) from the convenience store nearby. Then walked to Parc Monceau. Sat by the carousel for awhile, watching parents load toddlers and kids on the wooden rides. I was missing Nisa, and sending messages back and forth with Mai. The days seem so long without her: good for short trips but not so great during moments like these.

The next morning, I set out early for a walk. It was drizzling but not as cold as the previous day. Ended up at Pont Neuf but decided against going to Saint Chapelle and Notre Dame. Guess I just wanted to refresh my memory about the area from previous Paris visits. I haven't been following the news and was a bit sad to see La Samaritaine boarded up (it closed in 2005) as I had a nice meal at its rooftop cafe. Then went back to the subway and got off at Concorde. Vaguely recall driving by the obelisk (in 1993 or so) and wanted to take another look. So...yes, it was still there, amid some construction, glowing as the blinding sunlight reflected off its shaft. Kind of uneventful.

Feeling sheepish, I walked into the Tuileries garden nearby. Thanks to one of the Apps Mai loaded onto my phone, I located the Musee de l'Orangerie, a cute little museum dedicated to huge paintings of Monet's water lilies. The galleries were filled with Chinese tourists but once they left, a welcome solitude, augmented by the murals and diffused lighting, descended. Other paintings on display were by modern masters: Picasso, Gauguin, Cezanne, Rousseau, Modigliani...and others whose names I've forgotten. Very enjoyable at a snail's pace, without the ever present din of the Louvre.

Walked towards Madeline next, browsing among the shops. Got Nisa a pair of (somewhat pricey) Camper shoes and Mai a (slightly cheaper) coffee pot. Also indulged in six La Duree macaroons, unabashedly snacking on one as I walked back to the metro. Then headed to Les Olympiades, the last stop on the purple line, seeking a proper meal in Chinatown. I probably didn't hit the main stretch because I didn't find any cluster of restaurants or stores with that 'Chinatown' vibe (neon restaurant signs, elderly Asians loaded with grocery bags, curio stores...). Hmm. Ended up at a 'Chinese' place run by very nice Cambodians. Despite the mediocre fare, it was good to be in a more mellow residential neighborhood with an interesting mix of people.

Then it was back to the hotel for a nap before meeting up with Jen and her brood, who were renting an apartment on the next block. My last two days consisted of hanging out with Jen and her family and attending the two kids' baptism as her daughter's godmother. The latter was held in a floating church (on a barge) in a suburb; on the drive back to Paris, with me wedged between two car seats, we rear-ended another car driven by Jen and Raf's nephew. The tuckered out babies woke upon impact with piercing screams, jangling every one's nerves. Luckily the crash wasn't too bad. We were still able to rush back to the apartment so I could gather my stuff and grab a taxi to the airport. After these activity-packed days, the 11-hour flight allowed for breathing room, time to pause before diving back into hectic home life.

No comments: